At the end of World War II, the Baltic fleet started using part of the tunnels as mine warehouses again. The Soviets also tried to use the tunnels as ammunition warehouses, but the construction was terminated once again due to its high cost. The landscape in Astangu, which is connected to the ground-level limestone, has been attempted to place under protection. This, however, has not been successful. Today, the warehouses are under heritage protection as architectural monuments.
One of Tallinn’s most attractive and extensive military monuments of the early 20th century is located in Astangu. The ammunition warehouses for the main line of defense in Tallinn sea front of Peter the Great’s Naval Fortress were planned in Astangu. In 1917, construction work started on six ammunition warehouses out of the planned 39 U-shaped tunnel-warehouses. Only two were completed. To connect the warehouses with the other parts of the naval fortress, a narrow-gauge railway was built. Traces of the railroad tracks can still be seen in the neighbourhood of the section descending from Nõmme, near the Tallinn University of Technology Stadium and Ehitajate Road. Construction was stopped due to lack of money the same year.